Why is SEO important?
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO is important for everyone looking to sell online. The goal of SEO is to make sure that when people are searching for a particular product on the web, they see your site on the first page results. The optimization of your website is a continuous process as search engines like Google index and rank pages. From time to time, these algorithms get updated and tactics will need to be updated as well. This is why it's important to have an SEO strategy as a starting point. BigCommerce ships with SEO features like optimized URLs, automated canonical tags and many other technical elements you'll use to help rank your store.
We have put together a short list of things you will need to start optimizing your store. Think of this as a checklist of items that will help you create your SEO strategy.
- Customize page titles and meta descriptions
- Optimize your product pages and descriptions
- Complete all of your image descriptions (aka "Alt Tags")
- Fix or remove unattended or duplicate product pages
- Manage your product filtering query strings
- Create valuable content and appropriate word counts
- Encourage product reviews
- Add descriptive category pages
- Create a mobile optimized experience
- Internally link relevant and meaningful content
- Blogs, blogs, and more blogs
- Verify your website via Google Search Console
- Submit your sitemap to Google
- Set up Google Analytics or Google Tag Manager for tracking
While this is not a definitive list, it is a great start on the road to SEO success with your online store. If you would like to schedule a discussion about SEO Strategy with one of our experts, just follow this link.
Interested in learning about Inbound Marketing? Check out some of our FREE downloadable content about Inbound Marketing and eCommerce Platforms.